Books I Read in March 2021 (short reviews)

Hey there. 
Remember how I said last month that I was in a crazy reading mood? 
Remember also how I said I wouldn't have a lot of time to read because March means exams and assignments? Mhm, yeah. About that. 

I read 25 books in March. 25! That's nearly one book a day? How? Like seriously, this is not me bragging, this is me baffled at the fact that I handed in about 10 written assignments and still managed to read this much.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy and I really hope you had a good March too, doesn't matter if you read nothing or all the books. I think that's always important to keep in mind when seeing these wrap up posts. I don't have any other hobbies than reading. Other than going to work and uni, I don't really do anything else but read (I do a lot of DIY stuff, but always with an audio book running). 

Also, if I suddenly disappear, keep in mind, that doing something this obsessively is usually a sign that I'm on the verge of a mental break down. Like the "calm" before the storm, the coping mechanism before the complete breakdown. Just a fair warning. 

Anyway.

Considering I have to write 25 reviews now, I better get on with it. Also, I should probably order wrist braces, just in case.
I'm going to group them together this time, just to make it a bit more structured, if you want to see my reviews in chronological order, hop over to goodreads
(https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/95108873-lena-fiala) and become my friend, I always post everything I read on there in real time. 


Category 1: German books

I've read a few books this month that were by German authors (which I don't think I have done in a while) and so I wanted to spotlight them. If they are available in English, I will put their translated title there as well. 

Dunkelspiel by Leonie Haubrich (2/5)
This book could've been just fine, if only the subtitle didn't say it was a Psychological Thriller. There was nothing thrilling about this and other than the fact that one of the main characters was a therapist, there was nothing psycho about it either. It was more like a tale about everyday mothers with a bit of mystery in it. Very underwhelming for what it promised to be.

Vom Ende der Einsamkeit (The End of Loneliness) by Benedict Wells (5/5)
If you ever want to read a book that makes you feel all the feelings and has you crying and hoping and wishing, this is it. It's a beautifully written story about how a family deals with grief and loss and love and it was so good. The style of writing was a treat, the plot so sad and yet so raw and I was a wreck at the end of it. Highly recommend (I just don't know how the English version compares to it) 

Der Schwarm (The Swarm) by Frank Schätzing (4/5)
I feel like this is a classic at this point. A very intense story about how insignificant humanity is in the grand scheme of things and yet how utterly damaging our existence is for the planet. I feel like this is even more relevant today than it was when it was first published. In some places it felt like a big info dump to me, but the information was important for the story line, so you just have to push through. Very speculative and yet it all seemed plausible for some reason. 

DNF: Warum Männer nicht zuhören und Frauen schlecht einparken (Why men don't listen and women can't read maps) by A. and B. Pease
This was awful. I managed 50 pages and then I couldn't anymore. I'm all about poking fun at yourself and others, I'm not sensitive when it comes to a misogynistic joke (maybe I should be) but if a book acts like it's scientific and fact and then continues to degrade women and try to base all stereotypes on science and psychology, no. Just no. (This does not count towards my books read because I didn't finish it)

Category 2: A Court of- Series

Yes, Instagram finally made me do it and I have some thoughts. (Probably don't read if you're planning on reading the series unbiased)

A Court of Thorns and Roses (4.5/5)
This was a great introduction into Sarah J. Maas's style of writing. Very atmospheric, great world building and I honestly felt like I was there most of the time. The plot was relatively easy to follow, quite thrilling and as dramatic as I had imagined. Was this worth the hype in my opinion? Not really. Like yes it is a very, very good book, but not thaat good. 
A Court of Mist and Fury (5/5)
Ha,Ha, Ha. There it was. THIS was what I expected when I thought of something hype worthy. The plot was great, the emotions and the way Sarah J. Maas deals with mental illness was so much more than I expected and the characters were amazing. Rhys officially won my heart (honestly their chemistry and the steam? Fire), I see what you guys meant. Also the way Tamlin was written was great. That idea of someone not being able to deal with their own trauma and tearing others down because of it, so well done. 
A Court of Wings and Ruin (3.5/5)
We were setting the bar soo high with ACOMAF and it fell very short for me. I really started to dislike Feyre, who was so contradictory in both being so powerful and important and at the same time being a passive bystander for a lot of things. It felt the story was told around her, not about her. I loved the battle scenes, but I hope I don't spoil it for anyone when I say the ending was too overdramatic for me. Too many twists and turns way too quickly and I honestly would've enjoyed it more if those were cut in half. Because some of the stuff that happens at the end had me gasping for air in a good way. 
A Court of Frost and Starlight (3/5)
Why do people have to write novellas that don't add a lot to the story? I was so bored with this book. I loved the bits where we got to know more of the inner circle, I wish the entire book was like that, it would've been so great to learn more about the side characters and Feyre's family. But the way this was done I just started to dislike Feyre (and even Rhys, I'm sorry) more and more.
A Court of Silver Flames (5/5)
NOW, hold on. This was fantastic. Maybe because the bar was set lower with the last parts or maybe because I was dying to know more about Nesta (who is a blast, by the way), but this was incredibly good. I've mentioned before that I enjoy how SJM writes about trauma and mental illness and the way it was done here was soo good. Cassian and Nesta pushed the term steam to a WHOLE other level and I'm not complaining in the slightest. One warning though, this book made me HATE Feyre and her entire Inner Circle. The way they dealt with Nesta's trauma was insanely toxic, to the point where I was raging at the author for choosing to make them this ignorant and condescending. I do like how they were portrayed as the family who forces a loved one to take care of themselves (I can relate to needing that push), but the "just get over it" attitude is the worst thing you can ever do when dealing with someone with a mental illness (I can also relate to what it feels like to be treated like that). Just, no.

Category 3: The Beautiful series by Christina Lauren

Beautiful Beginning (4/5)
Nice little novella about Chloe and Bennett. I love the two of them and enjoyed a bit more of their sex crazy story. 
Beautiful Beloved (3/5)
This was meh, just fine. I'm not that into pregnancy stories and baby content, so an entire novella dedicated to that is just not up my alley. Maybe it's better for you. 
Beautiful Secret (3.5/5)
I'm conflicted on this one. I enjoyed Niall and Ruby's story, but hated how Ruby was described and written. I hate female characters who give up their career this easily and who seem to forget they're super smart and strong just because a man comes around the corner. Even if the man is super hot. 
Beautiful Boss (3/5)
Will and Hanna always were my favourite couple in the series, but this novella again was a little unnecessary. I did enjoy the conflict of not knowing how to fit career and relationship together, but this could've easily been one conversation in one of the other books and it would've been fine. 

Category 4: Romance

I love that the stigma around romance books is slowly disappearing, because there are so many popular romances that finally get the hype they deserve. 

The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary (5/5)
I will never shut up about this book. It was so much more than I expected. The romance was great, slow burning and yet fire. The distinct voices of the two characters was so much fun (you could immediately tell who was narrating, it was great) and the plot was so refreshing and deep (dealing with so much more difficult topics than you would first expect). Please go read this. Please. 

Man Crush Monday by Kirsty Moseley (4/5)
This was steamy, dreamy and overly dramatic and I loved it. Halfway through I thought, hm, was that it? And then the twist came and I was screaming, it was fantastic. Sure, you'll roll your eyes at some of the stereotypes (quirky woman, serious man) but it was done so lovingly, you cannot be mad at it.
Stand-In Saturday by Kirsty Moseley (4/5)
Part two of the Days of the week series started even better than the first. This could've easily been a five star romance, because it had everything. The tension, the slow-burn but then explosive steaminess, the characters. It was perfect. And then the ending happened and I was like, was this necessary? So "only" four stars. If I ever end up rereading this, I'll just not finish it. 

Get A Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert (4/5)
A lot of people currently talk about the Brown sisters series and I understand why. It is the perfect mix of representation of more "uncommon" topics in romance (here chronic illness) and well developed relationships. I enjoyed the characters, they felt super real and really liked their story. I did not understand or like the drama towards the end, which is why I had to take a point off. 
Take A Hint, Dani Brown by Talia Hibber (5/5)
Everything I loved about the first book was done like three times better in this book. The characters were so on point and authentic. I related with Dani on such a deep level because I saw a lot of my own struggles in her anxiety and panic, a lot of her worries could've been stolen from my head and her outlook on relationships seemed oddly familiar. It was so beautiful to see her and Zafir grow together but also as individuals (I stan people taking care of themselves first and then start a relationship). Their story was so good, so far my favourite of the series and I so excited for the last part. 

Love & Dr. Devon by Alan Titchmarsh (3/5)
This is in romance, but honestly, I'm not sure if it fits in here. It was trying to be soo many things at once and at the end of the day did all aspects just fine that I was like: "Okay, this was... fine." I have nothing else to say about this. It was nicely written and had touching moments but it also had so many other things that I was just not bothered by any of the aspects. 

Category 5: Mystery, Thriller or something like that

Is anyone still reading? I know I'd like to give up. I promise, I'll keep this short. 

No more dying then by Ruth Rendell (3/5)
Your average small town mystery. Ending was very unsatisfactory (way too happy for my taste). And honestly, I can't remember anything else about this, even though I have notes in front of me.

All The Missing Girls by Meghan Miranda (3.5/5)
Originally this would've been a meh book too, but the ending really turned it around. The timeline was super confusing to me, especially because I listened to the audio book, but it was worth it for the end. Not one of my new favourite thrillers though. Not even sure, I'd recommend it to anyone.

The Road To Gandolfo by Robert Ludlum (3.5/5)
This was fun. Honestly, if you can overlook a bit of that 70's misogyny and racism, please treat yourself to this book. And don't forget the foreword. It was chaotic, confusing and yet so much fun. A short, ridiculous read that would've earned more stars, but I couldn't bring myself to do it from a moral stand point, because the way women were described was rough. 

Category 6: Finally the end

This category holds all the ones that didn't fit the above mentioned categories. 

On the come up by Angie Thomas (4/5)
This was a super powerful coming of age story a lá Angie Thomas. Empowering, raw and moving. The focus on the music business with both a female perspective and the issue of essentially abusing a black artists image was very insightful and highlighted some problematic aspects that I honestly hadn't thought about as much as I do now. I do have to say, Bri was not my favourite main character, because I get frustrated with very irrational characters very quickly, but she made for an incredibly strong main character and I still felt for her emotional struggle.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (4.5/5)
Reread for uni, so much better the second time around, especially working closely with the text. The way Emily Bronte writes about emotions, grief, hate, love and family is so impressive and I really, really enjoyed reading this. 

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (5/5)
If someone told me this was written this year, I would be like, okay interesting choice of language, but solid plot. I'm not kidding, but the plot of an abused Orphan ending up with a overly confident, passionate older man could be the plot of some popular Romance or Fantasy book. It has so much depth that I wasn't expecting and I had such a great time reading this. Also, the language isn't super difficult, so I honestly recommend this to anyone who wants to get into classics. This was a solid 5 star read for me. 

Wordslut by Amanda Montell (4.5/5)
Surprisingly this is my only non-fiction read this month, but don't worry, it was a really good one. If you're into feminist reading and/or linguistics, please go check this out. This broadened my horizon so much further that I don't really know what to do with myself. Everyother paragraph I found myself stunned at the fact that I had never thought of that aspect of the English language before. This book is so much fun if you're really into language, but even if you're not, this is a funny, thought provoking book that I can highly recommend. Only downside for me were the personal anecdotes (I didn't resonate with most of them) and the lack of proper sources. Would've made it even more serious and scientific. 

And that was the last one. I'm done. If you've read until this point, I applaud you. Thank you for sticking with me. Let me know if you have read any of these books, what your thoughts were and how happy you were with the month of March. 
I'm now going to relax my hands and will see you in my next post which will hopefully be all about Camp NaNoWriMo :)

As always, take care, stay healthy and read on. 
Lena

Follow me and stay in touch:
Twitter: @lena_fiala
Instagram: @lena_fiala_
Business inquiries and review requests: lena.fiala99@gmail.com
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/95108873-lena-fiala

Comments

Popular Posts