Books I Read in June 2020 (short reviews)

So for some reason it took me so long to sit down and write this post. I don't really know why, I don't know if it is because I was hoping to write some more posts on writing before I post another reading recap, but the days are currently just flying by and already this post is over a week late. Sorry for that. June was another good month for me reading wise and even writing wise (I might actually share a new project soon) and I read some really really good books last months. So before I ramble on for way too long again, here are the books I read in June and what I thought of them.

The Diary of A Young Girl by Anne Frank (4.5/5)
This book is honestly one of those books that make you think of your own life and reevaluate your problems, how you deal with certain situations and what it means to be alive. Anne Frank is an inspiration in so many ways and she didn't even know it at the time. She was herself, she lived the life of a young girl in a time that I myself cannot even try to understand what it must've been like and she teaches us so much about perspective. I need to recommend this book to everyone and even if this is not your genre, just read it with an open mind and experience how Anne manages to be both lighthearted and a normal teenager and live in such horrific circumstances.

You by Caroline Kepnes (5/5)
What an incredible book. I listened to it as an audio book which I think made it even better as a whole experience. The story, the characters, the plot, I loved it. Yes, it is creepy, yes it feels strange, but it gives just the right atmosphere for a story about a stalker and a murderer and I have so much respect for Caroline Kepnes for creating this vibe. I haven't yet read the sequel or watched the Netflix series, but I am looking forward to doing so. Totally recommend it to anyone who loves Thrillers and that certain level of creepiness.

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake (3/5)
I have to be honest and admit that I didn't really like this book that much. The premise seemed great and I will still try to read the rest of the series because maybe it will get better, but this first part didn't cut it for me. The story line seemed like it didn't progress at all (which is sad because I think the idea of it is incredible and there is so much that can be done with it), it was a little hard to keep track of anything that was happening and, and maybe I am a little triggered by this, the way relationships are handled in this story really bugged me. I am kinda sick of YA novels that have every character coupled off in a heterosexual relationship and make every female character only see her value in getting herself a guy. Maybe I read a little too much into it, I don't know, but over all I am not sure I would recommend this to anyone.

The Last Black Unicorn by Tiffany Haddish (4/5)
Funny, raw and emotional. Those are only some of the words that I would use to describe this book. I really like Tiffany Haddish as a comedian and I was excited to read her book. Her autobiography is very entertaining and at the same time it is so raw and gives a deep insight into her life. She is such a successful personality and I just really enjoyed reading about her life and her experiences. There is so much value in the experiences that you and others have to live through and I think this is the main reason why I love reading autobiographies. To learn from other people's lives, to connect more to what other people suffer through and to feel assured there are other people who live through the same things as I do. The good and the bad.

Our Lady of The Forest by David Gutterson (3/5)
This was a strange read. I cannot describe it any other way. The characters all felt shady, the book had a very dark vibe and the plot seemed all over the place but not particularly in a bad way. I really don't know how to describe my reading experience with this one because I really liked it as much as I didn't like it. I would say, if you are into mystery novels then gives this one a try and let me know what you think of it.

The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo (4.5/5)
I do admit, I am not the biggest fan of poetry and poem collections, however, listening to the audiobook of Poet X really made an impact on my life. It was so emotional, so raw and by having it read out like it was intended by the author was amazing. I don't want to say that I wouldn't have liked it as a physical book because there is so much power in the way some of the poems are brought onto a page and there is something special in having poems written out, but for someone who doesn't have a good connection to poetry, the audiobook was a great experience. Elizabeth Acevedo is so talented, she has such a strong voice and I am deeply impressed how she told the story through poetry. Totally recommend it to everyone.

Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly (5/5)
Another incredible read in June. I cried at the end of the book, it had such an important message and I keep thinking back to this story over and over. This whole idea of parts of history that we are not taught or that is "hidden" because there is some reason why it is not shared with everyone, is painful and a sad reality. I am truly impressed by the research that went into this book and it made me so curious to think what else is hidden from us and what impressive work is done in the world by people who do change the world because they believe in themselves, even if the rest of the world doesn't even know they exist.

The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (5/5)
A beautiful story with amazing characters and, at least for me, a really important message. Once again a book that I ended up crying over at the end and I think that always says a lot. If a book can trigger such an emotional reaction from you then it really touched something within you. Don't know what else to say. Read it. It's amazing.

An American Marriage by Tayari Jones (4/5)
It was such a raw, emotional journey and to the last page I wasn't sure with which character I empathized more and whose actions I could understood or relate to more. It is a very conflicting story and I hope I don't ever get into the situation where I have to make some of the decisions that the characters in this story had to make. Yet I do understand that this is a reality for a lot of people and a lot of the times for exactly those unfair reasons like in the story. While it was fiction, it still was so obvious that it could've easily been a report of someone's life and that made it even more emotional.

Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes (4/5)
If you are a fan of Shonda Rhimes or Shondaland then I recommend you read this book. The message of it was so important, to say yes to life, to say yes to things that are thrown your way. I could relate to this so much on so many levels. I myself tend to bail out of things when I feel a little anxious about them or when I am not sure what to expect of something. I myself feel like I am missing out on life sometimes because I say no a lot (to myself and to others) and to read that such an amazing woman like Shonda has those struggles was very empowering. Both sides of the story, the general description of how her career developed and how she lives her life as an entrepreneur and the emotional, deep side of the story that teaches you so much about life and the opportunities that come your way, were so well written and I would also recommend to listen to the audio book because the speeches are actually the recordings of when she gave those speeches and it was a great feature.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel (5/5)
This was one of those books that I read after I have watched the film, so there were a couple of things that obviously stood out a little more then they would've if it were the other way around, but I still think it was an incredible book to read. The way Yann Martel painted the picture of the life boat and the life on it was insane and sometimes it felt like I was right on the boat with Pi. The idea of having both the "now" with the reporter and Pi after his adventure and the "past", the real time experiences on the Pacific Ocean was such a great touch and also a little bit of a relief because I'm not sure I could've gotten through the book not knowing that there is a sort of good outcome (hope this doesn't spoil it for anyone, but it is obvious from like chapter 1 onward).

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (4/5)
I am really really trying to read more classics, but I am currently in such a dilemma of wanting to read all the new books that are coming out and reading all the classics that have shaped our understanding of literature. I really enjoyed this book, it was a great story and especially reading it with a modern day perspective, there is this added layer of "understanding" for the psychological things that are going on in this story and the characters. Great story, love the mystery aspect of it and it is absolutely a classic that I would recommend you read.

This Is Not A Fashion Story by Danielle Bernstein (2.5/5)
I don't really know why I picked this book up, maybe because I read a lot of those autobiographical books this month and was hoping for a great story. Well, I was quite disappointed. I don't want to say that Danielle's story and her success isn't impressive, don't get me wrong. I didn't know her beforehand but I do love her unapologetic approach to being a successful business woman. However, I think this book was a little hard to read at times because it just sits on another level. Maybe I have to explain that. The original starting point of Danielle was a very wealthy, very good one and she had a lot of stepping stones laid out for her. Again, not a bad thing to have or use. I admire everyone who follows their dream, but I don't like it if they make it seem like everyone else is silly for not doing it the way they did. Not everyone has the privilege of having contacts in higher places, not everyone has the privilege to drop out of a degree or quit their job to do what they want to do. And with this book at times I felt like I was looked down on for not being able to just quit my shitty part time job or not getting my degree to focus on my dream and I really didn't enjoy feeling like that when reading a story that had some good advise and some really good insights into what you might have to expect when you want to pursue a career.

Okay, wow, this was a long post, I don't even know how long it took me to write it, because I kept getting distracted. I hope you can find some inspiration in my reviews and let me know what you read this month.
Now I need to finally get dinner, I hope you are all doing well, staying at least somewhat sane in these times and manage to get through everything.
Take care and stay healthy,
Lena.

Follow me and stay in touch:
Twitter: @lena_fiala
Instagram: @lena_fiala_
Business inquiries: lena.fiala99@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts