Books I Read in May 2020 (short reviews)

With trying the 24 hour readathon I managed to read a lot of books this month and I really hope that you can find some inspiration in this list. If you want to follow along my reading journey, then check out my Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/95108873-lena-fiala). Now, without further ado, here are the 15 books I read in May and what I thought of them.


Christine - Stephen King (4/5)
As I've said in my previous book review post, I really want to get into reading Stephen King because I love his style of writing and his creations, be it worlds or characters. Christine was a great read, I loved the "subtlety" of the supernatural or mystical and yet it was creepy on a level that spoke to me. If you are into thrillers and the paranormal then I would definitely recommend this book and be prepared to get used to the idea that objects can have a life of their own.

Macbeth - William Shakespeare (3.5/5)
Macbeth was a very short yet very entertaining play by Shakespeare and I'm glad I decided to read it. It is witty yet tragic and a great classic to add to your TBR. I never enjoy plays as much as I enjoy novels, I think it is just a personal preference, yet, as someone who does really like Shakespeare, this is definitely worth a read.

Finale -Stephanie Garber (4/5)
I really enjoyed the whole series and I definitely enjoyed the last part of it. It was dark and sensual enough to keep it full of mystery and tension without getting boring or going to into the proper YA fantasy direction, which I really appreciated. I highly recommend the whole series if you are interested in a different kind of fantasy with great world building and intriguing characters.

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen (4/5)
Another classic for this month. It probably won't be my favourite book of all time, but I did enjoy the whole story. To be honest, it took me a while to finish reading this book because I had to read it for uni and that always kind of takes away the pleasure in reading for me. The story line is lovely, the main character is entertaining to read and it is a wholesome novel that needs to be read.

Feck Perfuction - James Victore (5/5)
Great message, made me think a lot about how I live my own life and how much I limit my own creative process with the fear of perfection. There is not more to say, other then please read this book if you want a non fiction book that will make you challenge your outlook on life.

Art Before Breakfast - Danny Gregory (4/5)
A cute book with a lot of illustrations and prompts for every day life. It is a fun book that gives you cool ideas to implement art into your daily routine if you wish to be a little more creative. You might not learn any new tips but you will find them newly phrased and maybe they will move you to more creativity.

Ernest Hemingway on Writing (3.5/5)
A collection of the great man's own opinion on writing. Very inspiring to read as a writer and definitely worth looking into for some aspects of writing that you might feel left alone with. It is a quick read, however it is not purely for entertainment as a fiction novel might be.

On Writing - Stephen King (5/5)
Similar to Ernest Hemingway on Writing but put into a great non fiction novel with a lot of personal anecdotes, links to his stories and the process of writing. It is a great read, not just for someone who is a writer. Stephen King has a lot of great insights and his style of telling stories is awesome, I was sad that the book wasn't longer.

The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett (3/5)
Had to read this one for uni which, as I said before, always takes away a little bit of the joy that I have for reading a new book. This was overall a good read, I liked the way the story moved and the surprising twist at the end. The characters were all unlikable but in a good way and I think it is a nice read if you want to read some more classic crime fiction.

Le second souffle - Philippe di Pozzo Borgo (2/5)
If you know the original French Film Intouchables then you would expect a heart warming, raw, funny, entertaining story of friends that are so different that it works. This book sadly showed none of those things. It was raw and it was real, which is why I give it 2 out of five, but it was not entertaining, there was no chemistry between the characters that I liked so much in the film and I am sad that I was so disappointed by this book.

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury (4.5/5)
Such an intruiging read. Ray Bradbury describes a world that you never want to live in. The symbolism of fire and books is great and it is such a thought provoking book that I urge you all to read it if you haven't before. I loved it so much (and I can't really see why some people hate it so much) and I couldn't stop thinking about what it would mean to live in a world like this.

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood (5/5)
The best book I read in May. Amazing story, frightening notion of what our world could be like and great characters. It was very emotionally draining and exhausting and yet one of the best books I've ever read. I can't wait to read the sequel to this novel because the ending left me hanging. The style of writing war great and the entire story kept me wanting to know more of a dystopian future that could happen to us but no one ever wants to live in.

The Kaizen Way - Robert Maurer (3/5)
Good ideas, quick read and cool advice that doesn't seem too overwhelming. Sometimes it felt a little stereotypical (a lot of women want to lose weight) but generally well meant little things you can do to change your life. A lot of times these kind of books seem like too much to do (if you think of the konmari method which is effective but might well take multiple days to get through) but this one seems achievable and worth a try.

All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr (3.5/5)
Great premise but not so much my cup of tea as a genre. Loved the way the main character (a blind girl) was written, the different story lines made the book dynamic and the young characters made for a new point of view. The ending felt a little rushed for me, but that might be personal preference.

Good Omens - Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman (5/5)
Amazing read, I loved the crazy style, the characters, the question what good and bad even means. The style of writing is great, it has an overall genius premise and is well executed. It was also funny to see how watching the show first had affected my way of reading this book. I constantly had Michael Sheen and David Tennant in front of me while reading. Definitely a plus.

If you read this far then I want to thank you for taking the time and I really want to apologize for not posting any writing related stuff. Truth is, I am not currently able to focus on writing and I much rather find distraction in books as a hobby. With everything going on in the world it is important to find a balance between standing up against what's wrong in the world and not forget to take care of yourself. You are stronger and able to do more for others if you make sure you are taking care of yourself. And if taking a break and reading a book is that, then it is the right thing to do. 
With that, I hope you are healthy and well. 
Take care and read on, 
Lena 

Follow me and stay in touch:
Twitter: @lena_fiala
Instagram: @lena_fiala_
Business inquiries: lena.fiala99@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts