Books I Read in April 2020 (Short Reviews)

It took me a while to actually sit down and write for my blog again. The last  couple of weeks have been rough on all of us and it just didn't feel right to talk about the few books that I read. Because to be honest, my plan to read a lot of books, now that I'm doing uni online, did not work out at all and I think I read a lot less than the months before.
Also, we are already nearly 2 weeks into May and I have not read a single book. I did read some short stories, but I don't think it makes sense to write reviews on those.
Anyway, enough with the unnecessary pre-talk, let's look at those books. As always, you can also follow me on goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/95108873-lena-fiala)

They Both Die at the End- Adam Silvera (5/5)
I really enjoyed the concept of the world in this novel and I loved the characters so much. I hope I don't spoil if for anyone when I say that I was really sad about the ending despite the title already letting me know how it will end. Very emotional and very good. Can highly recommend to anyone who likes the whole "alternate universe", life is too precious, enjoy every day kinda book.

Bridge to Terabithia- Katherine Peterson (5/5) 
I think I have a little bit of a theme with not that happy novels but with a great message. This classic had been on my TBR list for so long and yet it took until now to read it. I loved the over all style, I loved the characters and their relationships and I cried when I finished it. If you want to avoid "sad" novels at the moment, then I wouldn't recommend it, but generally this was a very good read.

The Graveyard Book- Neil Gaiman (4/5)
I have to very honest, I don't really remember what exactly I thought about this because I forgot to take notes on my books this month, but I do remember that I was really fascinated by the world that is created and the over all concept. Neil Gaiman is a special author in my opinion and I know he might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the grave yard book is really good. For me it felt very wholesome, I got "ghost stories told around a campfire" vibe and it was a very subtle, I guess YA, horror book that I enjoyed very much.

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler- E. L. Konigsburg (4/5)
Another lovely story that wasn't really in my regular genre, but I still enjoyed it very much. The adventures of those kids were very entertaining, the story line was quite cute and at least for me it was something new. Not as sad as all the other books that I reviewed so far, so definitely something for someone who doesn't really need any horror or sad story but rather a little bit of wholesome child hood "mystery".

Caraval- Stephanie Garber (3.5/5) 
Legendary- Stephanie Garber (3.5/5)
I really enjoyed this series so far, kind of against my expectations. This series was one of those typical "hyped up" YA series that I had seen  on youtube, instagram and goodreads so much that I was nervous to read it, in case I didn't like it. It is not my favourite novel that's for sure, but I did enjoy the story, I do like the world that is created and the relatively dark feeling to it, making it less "easy" YA and more to my taste.  I haven't finished the series yet, I am currently reading the last part, but so far I do enjoy it and it is a nice fantasy read that is, at least for me, just the right amount of other worldly.

Five Feet Apart- Rachael Lippincott (4/5)
This was a very nice novel to read. I loved the characters and some of the issues that people had with the way the teenagers acted in this novel, were actually my favourite bits. For me it felt very real and emotional, the frustration that teenagers in their situation would feel came across very clearly to me and made it easy to feel with the characters. Can highly recommend it, it was a very lovely read.

Not going to review (also, was only a 1 Star read):
Vollidiot- Tommy Jaud

So, this was already what I read in this month. Weirdly, I only realised now that they were actually mostly dark/sad books, but I did not chose them out of a specific reason, I guess, by now you should all know that my reading lists are always all over the place.
I hope this gave you some inspiration for the books you want to pick up next.
Stay healthy, take care and read on.
Lena

Follow me and stay in touch: 
Twitter: @lena_fiala
Instagram: @lena_fiala_
Business inquiries: lena.fiala99@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts