Book Review: A Time For Violence (Anthology)

First of all I have to admit, I normally don't read Anthologies because they remind me of collections of short stories they made you buy in school and I never think of them when I am out book shopping. I can’t judge if every anthology is similiar to the one I am reviewing today, but I wanted to let you know my starting point before reading it. If you love anthologies then I am not here to change your mind, I am only talking about my experience and wanted to clarify that before getting into the actual review.

(Disclaimer: This book was gifted to me as a prerelease copy by Close to the bone publishing. All opinions in this review are still my own though)

A Time For Violence by Close To The Bone publishing is a very dark collection (at least in my opinion) of mostly short stories from all kinds of different authors. Over 400 pages of great horror, intriguing mystery and characters that make your skin crawl and have you chew off your cuticles.
As I mentioned before I never read anthologies and after reading this one I have my mind changed at least a little bit.
That is for two reasons. First, and that can also be a good aspect, not every story was to my liking. A lot of the stories were brilliant and I absorbed them in a whim, but some of them I actually had to skip because the style of writing or topic were not for me. There were a lot more great stories than bad ones and I don't want to single out the ones I didn't like, overall it was very well balanced. I am sure some people might love all the stories I disliked and that is the beauty of anthologies.
The second reason why I am still indecisive over anthologies is a more personal one. I loved getting a look at so many different authors at once, seeing their style of writing and getting to choose which ones I loved and which ones I didn’t like. BUT I hated that I always only got a little snippet of the stories, the characters and the setting that I had gotten sucked in within moments.  Every time a scene or chapter ended I wished it would go on and I would be able to read the entire novel right now (and with some of them I would have finished them in one sitting, this collection has some bloody brilliant stories).

I would not recommend this anthology for people who are a bit squeamish because some stories really gave me the shivers, but if you want to rediscover old favourite authors or get to know a few new names, then this is totally for you. So if you like more dark and twisted characters and like to explore who is out there in the field of horror/mystery/psycho writing then I would totally recommend it.
You can get it over Amazon here when my review made you curious in reading it yourself.

I think it is important to jump into the cold water and check out books or stories you are not familiar with yet. I’ve discovered a few new authors that I probably would’ve never checked out if I hadn’t decided to give this anthology a try. And although I am still not a lover of anthologies, I think it doesn’t hurt to check one out every now and then.
With that I am going to end this rather short post now.
Keep reading and take care,
Lena

Comments

Popular Posts