Book Review: Pippi Longstocking (Astrid Lindgren)

Growing up, Pippi Longstocking (or as I knew her in German: Pippi Langstrumpf) was always present and an incredible girl. She was a superhero just as much as Superman or Black Widow. She is incredibly strong, has two great sidekicks, her horse and her monkey, and conquers life all by herself.
After nearly ten years I decided to pick that book up again and read it for fun and the literary value behind it. And I wasn't dissappointed.
Pippi Longstocking, Astrid Lindgren (Puffin Books, Chalk Edition)
The story of Pippi Longstocking is funny, compelling and so touching that I felt sad when I turned the last page. It took me right back to my childhood memories of a strong, independent girl that lived her life the way she wanted and didn't get bothered by people telling her what to do.  For me personally it is a very important message to children everywhere in the world, to just be happy and use their imagination to explore their world and learn about the world.
To some it might be a little bit controverse, since Pippi is an orphan who has no one to take care of her, that she is not well behaved and doesn't get a propper education by not going to school, but I think the over all message goes way deeper than superficial politeness and calculations in school. It shows the real values in life: friendship, happiness, bravery and being happy with who you are.
I highly recommend reading the story of Pippi Longstocking, even if you are no longer a young child, because I think especially as adults we sometimes forget to take life less seriously and not worry about what others think of us too much. For me it was a nice walk down memory lane and I really enjoyed reading it.
If you are interested in buying it, for yourself or a friend, here is the Amazon Link: Pippi Longstocking 

Hopefully this little review was helpful for you because one of my goals for 2019 is to read way more than the last two years and share my thoughts on the stories and books I read.
Take care and read on,
Lena


Follow me and stay in touch:
Twitter: @lena_fiala
Instagam: @lena_fiala_
Business enquiries: lena.fiala99@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts